The family man | German-American Community | Career | City History | Cluss-Buildings | Cluss in the context of the city

Samuel Herman Stores and Residences (97)

323-327 4 1/2 Street, SW
Constructed in 1870, demolished ca. 1900

Samuel Herman hired Cluss to design a brick row containing three houses each with a store on the first floor. The Evening Star noted that the African American bricklayers who worked on these houses were "doing credible work." In 1900-01, a railroad company purchased and demolished all the buildings, including Herman's three houses, in the block between C and D streets and Four and a Half and Fifth Streets.

Samuel Herman emigrated in 1855 from Hesse-Darmstadt. His wife emigrated from Bavaria. He started a retail business by 1864 on Four and a Half Street, and remained in the dry goods business until the loss of his houses ca. 1900.

In the same neighborhood, Cluss also designed an earlier project for Samuel Herman, (82), a house / store combination for Joseph P. Herman, (96), and Jefferson School.




produced by STIMME.NET
Top of the page