The family man | German-American Community | Career | City History | Cluss-Buildings | Cluss in the context of the city

William Stickney Residence
William Stickney Residence, 1870s

William Stickney Residence (35)

Northwest corner, 6th and M Streets, NW
Constructed in 1868, demolished in the 1970s

William Stickney was a member of Calvary Baptist Church who served on the building committee of the church with his father-in-law, Amos Kendall. He was a long time head of the Sunday school of the church. Stickney was a leading citizen of the city. He headed the National Savings Bank of Washington, served as secretary of the Board of Indian Commissioners, secretary and director of the Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, and president of the Legislative Council of the Territorial government of the District of Columbia, 1871-74.

Cluss and Kammerhueber designed the house. The Evening Star reported that Stickney house was "a fine residence," equipped with the latest features, including iron window and door frames, a wine cellar, library, ten bedrooms, hot and cold water on all floors, and a hot-air furnace. From the cupola, there was "a magnificent view" of the Potomac River. Even in 1931, a Star reporter found that "the beautiful marble mantels are still as of yore, and the massive solid mahogany doors and trimmings remain the same... and the heavy carved front doors ... still stand guard as they did more than 80 years ago." In an era when most Cluss-designed houses cost $10,000 or less, Stickney's land, house, and stable cost $30,000.

Beginning in the late 1920's, the residence was used for many years as a place of worship by an apostolic congregation, the United House of Prayer for All People, and as a home for Daddy Grace, the founder of the church. Later the house was demolished and replaced with a new church building.




produced by STIMME.NET
Top of the page